Let me tell you why you can – Get Confident Mummy!
As human beings, we tend to have self-limiting beliefs and doubts about our own capabilities. I will always think to myself: “I’m not better than her“, “she has more wealth than me” or “what makes me think I can stand out“. Starting this blog has also been a tremendous step for me because I am not the type who enjoys being in the limelight of social media nor comfortable about sharing my inner thoughts with others. Even so, I have decided to venture out in this direction because my love for people and passion for helping others supersedes the insecurities I have about myself, and this is the path that I have chosen.
Before you get bashed by yourself or others, let me just tell you that motherhood already comes with so many skills that can help you significantly along the way:
- If you are a mother by now, multi-tasking should be one of the most highly mastered skills you already have. Do I even need to elaborate on this?
- Thinking ahead and preempting events or challenges can make mums awesome planners.
- You have learnt how to manage your time, delegate tasks to your husband, prioritise and keep it all together.
- Managing a business budget is similar to managing a household budget.
These skills are such valuable assets that you can bring with you when you start your own business! Having a child in your life can fire up your ambition to succeed and make you do even better in your career (not just your business) so as to provide better lives for them and inspire them to achieve what they want to in future. That being said, even if you already have a career, there’s certainly nothing wrong in changing directions and create a new route with your newly acquired skills.
even if you already have a career, there’s certainly nothing wrong in changing directions and creating a new route with your newly acquired skills
If you are toying with the idea of starting up a business, it will be really helpful to start looking within yourself. This exercise really helped me a lot in terms of clarity. List out the following:
- I have the following skills from my employment experience:
- My achievements include:
- I am good at:
- I enjoy:
- Motherhood has given me the following skills I can transfer:
- I am not very good at:
- Challenges and obstacles include:
If you find that you lack self-confidence and really have a lot of points for #6 and #7 but not for #1-5 it’s really normal and don’t feel discouraged at all. We tend to see our own faults more than our strengths. Find a few good friends to have a coffee or maybe just over a text conversation (easier for people to tell you the truth) and ask them what they think your strengths are – you may be surprised at how well they know you! The original exercise required me to list down what I know a lot about and what sectors my contacts are in, but I felt that the questions limit the scope of my business ideas. Reasons being that I do not feel my knowledge and contacts should affect my self-worth – knowledge can be acquired and networks can be built.
After you are done with your self-analysis which may take you a few hours up to a couple of days, what you should do next is to equip yourself and turn your self-doubts into self-belief. I will be sharing more about equipping yourself but what you can do right now is:
- Ignore the competition, just do your best
- Back up your positive thoughts with evidence and find ways to counter the negative ones
- Be yourself, be proud of who you are, and be proud of your femininity
- Don’t be afraid of being assertive (don’t be bothered if people say you’re bossy)
- BE BOLD AND START PLANNING!
I’ll just leave you with this for today as this speaks to me a lot. I hope that I have encouraged you and do connect with me to just chat up and share ideas. You can also subscribe to receive updates and a free baby/toddler recipes e-book!
Stephanie is mummy to Styx born in July 2015. She is Jesus-loving, panda-eyed and a caffeine addict. Her desire for more sleep is hindered by an empowering desire to be a Mumpreneur amidst other interests. She is blessed with an encouraging husband who helps with the chores and believes in her dreams.